this grilled cheese and tomato soup is served with a swirl of cream and fresh basil, it’s your childhood favorite all grown up.when it’s ready the tomato soup is served in a fresh cheese bread bowl shape;It’s a change right?
A bowl of grilled cheese and tomato soup with ascreams “home” and “comfort” like nothing else does.I often use this easy recipe because it uses ingredients that we all already to possess.
Tomato soup is the answer, whether it’s for a quick family supper or a quick lunch for the kids.
I’ve been making this traditional soup for years, and I’ll never get sick of it. There are several alternatives, including a butter or olive oil spread, some cheese or chopped herbs, and of course, toasted bread. Additionally, it’s a fantastic way to use up stale bread (although you don’t need any to make this soup dish).
Fresh basil, a rich broth, and sweet tomatoes make a pretty unbeatable combo. My mouth is watering just thinking about it, and I plan to eat it for supper today. If you have guests coming over, it’s also a terrific recipe to prepare in advance.
grilled cheese and tomato soup Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can plum tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley, as needed to garnish
For the cheese bread:
- 4 small round bread loaves (preferably sourdough)
- 6 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter, divided
- 4 slices american cheese
How to make tomato soup in cheese bread bowl:
- HOW TO MAKE THE TOMATO SOUP: Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over a medium flame. About 5 minutes after adding it, the onion should be transparent. One additional minute of sautéing the garlic will make it aromatic.
- With a wooden spoon, lightly smash the tomatoes before adding them. Add the broth and heavy cream by stirring. Salt and pepper to taste; then, add the bay leaf. Simmer the soup for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a decent flavor comes through.
- MAKE THE BREAD BOWLS: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Use parchment paper to cover a baking sheet.
- Slice the tops off the loaves of bread. Use a small knife to cut around the inside of each loaf in a neat circle; remove the circle in one piece and reserve.
- Each bread bowl is lined with three slices of American cheese and each has one and a half tablespoons of butter rubbed within. Onto the baking sheet, transfer.
- Slice the reserved bread circles in half horizontally while you wait. Butter each piece with a half-teaspoon of butter on one side.. Place 1 slice of American cheese (torn up if needed to make it fit inside) in between the two slices (buttered sides facing outward).
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches to the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, flipping once, until both sides are golden brown. Place the bread bowls on the prepared baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven to keep the grilled cheese sandwiches warm and melt the cheese inside the bread bowls, about 4 minutes. To serve, ladle the soup into the bread bowls and serve with the grilled cheese on the side. Garnish with parsley.
Needed tools to make tomato soup:
good quality spoon to enjoy the tomato soup.
How to thicken Tomato Soup:
Tomato soup is a classic comfort food that can be enjoyed any time of the year. However, sometimes the soup can turn out to be too thin, ruining the overall texture and consistency. Here are five ways to thicken tomato soup:
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is a great thickening agent that is commonly used in cooking and baking. To use it in tomato soup, whisk together equal parts cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir the mixture into the simmering soup, allowing it to cook for a few minutes until the soup has thickened.
- Flour: Flour can also be used to thicken tomato soup. Whisk together equal parts flour and cold water to form a smooth mixture. Slowly pour the mixture into the simmering soup, stirring constantly. Cook for a few minutes until the soup has thickened.
- Rice: Rice is another great ingredient for thickening tomato soup. Simply cook some rice until it is tender, then blend it in a food processor until it forms a fine paste. Stir the paste into the soup and let it simmer for a few minutes until the desired consistency is reached.
- Crushed crackers: Crushed crackers can also be used to thicken tomato soup. Simply crush a handful of crackers into fine crumbs and stir them into the soup. Allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Pureed vegetables: If you want to add some extra nutrition to your tomato soup, you can puree some of the vegetables used in the soup and stir them back in. This will not only thicken the soup, but it will also add some extra flavor and body to the soup.
grilled cheese and tomato soup Freezing and Storage:
When using cream, always stir it in. Let the soup come to room temperature before serving. All freezer-safe jars, containers, and bags must be sealed. at least four months, freeze. Before adding the cream and warming, totally thaw.
This soup can be prepared three days in advance of serving.
Reheat the chilled soup over medium heat before serving. Cover it and keep it in the fridge.
Grilled cheese and tomato soup Serving Suggestions:
You can serve this soup with these meals:
Tips to get the best cheese:
To accompany this tomato soup, you can create any kind of grilled cheese sandwich. But this gourmet grilled cheese is our favorite:
Combine cheddar cheese
as well as crumbled smoked gouda. The smokey cheese on this sandwich makes it taste fantastic. When using shredded cheese, a grilled cheese’s interior is gooiest and meltiest; slices are not advised.
Include a tasty treat.
When sweet and salty are combined, it soars to new heights!
Try tomato, fig, or apricot jam, along with thinly sliced apples or pears.
This traditional combo can be just what you’re looking for when done right. Here, cooking is just as simple as eating: The sandwiches are put together and fried in a skillet while the soup is simmering in a pot with a can of tomatoes, some onion, and butter (made in the manner of Marcella Hazan’s renowned tomato sauce). These are especially enjoyable because of their subtle, calm flavors: With mozzarella, a mild cheese that lets you taste the bread and butter as they are, a thin coating of mayonnaise is applied on the inside of the bread. You need a delicate, sweet, enriched loaf like brioche or milk bread with a filling this rich and sticky.
Other Healthy Soup Recipes:
Did you make this grilled cheese and tomato soup ?
Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest recipes!
From Scratch to Delicious: Homemade Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
MAKE THE TOMATO SOUP: In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute more.
Stir in the tomatoes and use a wooden spoon to lightly crush them. Stir in the broth and half-and-half. Add the bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook until good flavor develops, 20 to 25 minutes.
MAKE THE BREAD BOWLS: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the tops off the loaves of bread. Use a small knife to cut around the inside of each loaf in a neat circle; remove the circle in one piece and reserve.
Rub the inside of each bread bowl with ½ tablespoon butter; line each with 3 slices of American cheese. Transfer to the baking sheet.
Meanwhile, sliced the reserved bread circles in half horizontally. Butter one side of each piece with ½ tablespoon butter. Place 1 slice of American cheese (torn up if needed to make it fit inside) in between the two slices (buttered sides facing outward).
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches to the pan. Cook, flipping once, until both sides are golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet with the bread bowls.
Transfer the baking sheet to the oven to keep the grilled cheese sandwiches warm and melt the cheese inside the bread bowls, about 4 minutes.
To serve, ladle the soup into the bread bowls and serve with the grilled cheese on the side. Garnish with parsley.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 168
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 8g13%
- Total Carbohydrate 20g7%
- Sugars 12g
- Protein 6g12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.